“ Globalization has posed multiple challenges to the future of legal education in India, but it has provided an opportunity to challenge the status quo, which is an essential condition for seeking any reform ”- Tarunima Pandey
From Hairpin to Aeroplane, everything in India is facing the effects of globalization, how can the legal system be left behind?
Global Legal education has played a vital role in the development of all the lawyers/ Advocates/ Students who act as social engineers and work towards the cause of nation building. In a globalized world, law schools face the challenges of increased foreign competition and reduction of the role of the state. In the recent years, the meaning of Globalization has come out in open on a very large scale, specially focusing on the future of global education. Until few years ago, Indian legal system only taught laws on the basis of traditional laws and their implementation, but today emancipation of laws have evolved, International Laws, Intellectual property rights, environmental laws, anti-terrorist laws, anti-corruption laws, Copyright laws, Cyber laws, bankruptcy laws, and real estate laws are all framed in the modern time that suits the needs in the new legal changes in India.
The meaning of Globalization has come out in open on a very large scale, Until a few years ago, The Indian legal system had only taught laws on the basis of traditional laws and their implementation, but today emancipation of laws have evolved, International Laws, Intellectual property rights, environmental laws, anti-terrorist laws, anti-corruption laws, Copyright laws, Cyber laws, bankruptcy laws, and real estate laws are all framed in the modern time that suits the needs of the new legal changes in India.
It is abundantly clear that during these recent years, many foreign universities has come to India as private universities and vis versa, these institutes have immensely contributed in expanding knowledge of legal education worldwide.
Today, our legal system has to not only meet the necessities of the Indian Bar Association but also need expert adverse knowledge in the subjects like Global merger and Acquisition, Corporate laws for Multinational industries or Intellectual Property laws for protections against one’s designs, patents etc. These New kinds of legal disputes with international dimensions investing billion dollars of investments to our growing economy. These are some significant results for global legal education: global reforms of law, global lawyers, and global trade.
IMPORTANCE OF GLOBAL LAW EDUCATION
Globalisation has immensely helped India, it has provided an opportunity to challenge the status quo, which is an essential condition for seeking any reform .
It has become a vital necessity in today’s competitive world. The social, legal and economic context makes it imperative that lawyer and Advocates not only acquire the skills, but more importantly apply these new global laws, that are applicable across domains to compete with the advancing world.
While specific Indian laws are important but they are not be sufficient in an age where one has to quickly transition from one job profile to another. It is mandatory to acquire advances new laws, as it increases the ability of lawyers to participate in the social and legal discourses of our time.
Hence, as much as the traditional educational is bases on customs, precedents, the future of the legal system is to emphasise on analytical knowledge which alone will enable lawyers and advocates to cope with uncertain, contingent and varied legal problems as a part of the Indian Judicial System.
The contemporary social, political, economic and legal context makes it imperative that lawyers acquire the skills, but more importantly the conceptual tools that are applicable across domains, and also across cultural spaces.
While specific Indian laws are important but they are not be sufficient in an age where young lawyers have to quickly transition from one job profile to another. This will required to acquire transferable intellectual resources that they could apply in dynamic and complex situations. Also, to have ability to participate in the social and political discourses of our time places a premium on their ability to quickly grasp socio-economic issues in all their multiple dimensions and be able to draw meaningful conclusions that enable action.
PROS OF GLOBALISATION OF LEGAL EDUCATION
1) One of the greatest merits of globalization is the connection or inter exchange between various countries in the world for legal administration policies, economic policies, trade, commerce, cultural and other social aspects pertaining to a nation that provides international security and solidarity to the citizens. Through the globalisation in the legal field particularly in the legal education, different legal systems and frame works of other countries in the world were introduced to the Indian legal system. It provides flexibility that ensures liberty, equality and fraternity to all citizens of India, ensured by the Constitution of India imparting justice through criminal and civil laws .
2) Global education becomes extremely necessary because of the awareness to international laws, now that all big MNC’S and famous Indian law firms opening their branches aboard are flourishing in India and outside, global knowledge of as become a survival necessity, without global laws, these big MNC’S and companies will never be able to solve the legal issues as they are not restricted to just Indian laws and Jurisdiction.
3) CONS OF GLOBALISATION OF LEGAL EDUCATION
As there are many advantages of a global education, there are many flaws too:
1) Global education is a very new kind of a concept which has come along in a last few decades, therefore awareness is still a lot less and there are very few who can possess an all-round education in all kinds of law in and outside of this country .
2) Global education is very expensive, take Jindal global law school as an example, it is a completely global law school, Professors and teachers are from all over the world who come here to teach, but simultaneously for this kind of an education a lot of capital should be involved.
3) Simultaneously I feel with the haze of Global education, local laws and Indian legal laws might lose its own traditional touch and everything can simultaneously just be adopted instead of our traditional approach.
The legal education for at the law schools should be streamlined from the conventional to the contemporary needs of the legal profession. The quality of education has a direct impact on the prestige of the Legal Profession. We must, therefore, identify the areas of weakness and initiate progressive methods to fill the gaps.
A concerted action on the part of bar, the Bench and the law teachers is called for to improve and take standards of Legal education and a set a new in the world. We must to equip ourselves better so that we will not only keep pace with the current developments but also meet the demands of the future .
Kumar, C. Raj (2013) “Legal Education: Globalization, and Institutional Excellence: Challenges for the Rule of Law and Access to Justice in India,” Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies: Vol. 20: Is. 1, Article 8. Retrieved from: https://www.repository.law.indiana.edu/ijgls/vol20/iss1/8
V.S Deshpande, Nature of the Indian Legal System, retrieved from: